[luatex] get the hyphenation patterns matching a word

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Tue Feb 23 14:08:44 CET 2010

Taco Hoekwater schrieb:
> Stephan Hennig wrote:
>>
>> is there any way to get the hyphenation patterns matching a word
>> handed on a silver platter by luatex?  Seeing callback hyphenate() and
>> function lang.hyphenate() as the only related API parts, I assume the
>> answer is no.
>
> No.

Thanks for making this clear.

> The best luatex can do is give you all the patterns for a language
> as a space-delimited string:
>
>    <string> s = lang.patterns(<number> l)

Are there any plans to replace libhnj by a pure Lua implementation?  As
long as hyphenation is hard-coded in C, it remains a black box for the
LuaTeX user.  As far as I understand it, there is no easy way to monitor
the hyphenation process other than writing your own hyphenation module,
messing with nodes, and hook that into the hyphenate() callback. :(

> but you will have to extract the ones that fit a particular word
> yourself.

That's what I'm doing, currently (outside luatex).

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig