[luatex] LuaTeX file almost 2.5x bigger

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sat Aug 7 13:48:46 CEST 2010

On 08/05/2010 01:42 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 08/05/2010 01:30 PM, Paul Isambert wrote:
>>
>> ... it seems to me that hz can be spotted when comparing
>> narrow paragraphs with and without it (something in the text's color,
>> although I might be cheating myself here);
>
> [...]
>
> It seems this effect is at its worst at 1200dpi, probably because of
> some interference with font hinting technology. But of course this is
> not really a hz problem, just a side-effect of the pseudo-hz implemented
> in pdftex/luatex.

Thanks for your explanation, Taco.

I was wondering why pdftex/luatex have a pseudo-hz algorithm implemented
and I have just found out that the hz algorithm was patented by URW and
later bought by Adobe.

I guess there is no way to avoid it (since there is no easy way to avoid
the patent itself).

Thanks for your help,

Pablo