[luatex] fontspec prevents German hyphenation

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon Aug 2 12:58:32 CEST 2010

Le 02/08/2010 12:01, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard a écrit :
> I know there are many versions of the German patterns around, I'll check if this
> can explain the difference.

Ok, let's try. Test file:

\documentclass{article}
\makeatletter
\newcommand\try[1]{\showhyphens{\bbl at patterns{#1} Andenken}}
\makeatother
\begin{document}
\try{german}
\try{ngerman}
\try{german-x-latest}
\try{ngerman-x-latest}
\end{document}

With lualatex:

[][]  \OT1/cmr/m/n/10 An-denken
[][]  \OT1/cmr/m/n/10 An-denken
[][]  \OT1/cmr/m/n/10 An-denken
[][]  \OT1/cmr/m/n/10 An-denken

With pdflatex:

[]  []\OT1/cmr/m/n/10 An-den-ken
[]  []\OT1/cmr/m/n/10 An-den-ken
[]  []\OT1/cmr/m/n/10 An-denken
[]  []\OT1/cmr/m/n/10 An-denken

Now, having a look at loadhyph-de-1901.tex (the loader file for language
"german" according to language.dat):

\ifx\secondarg\empty % that is, if using XeTeX or LuaTeX
    \message{UTF-8 German Hyphenation Patterns (Traditional Orthography)}
    \input hyph-de-1901.tex
\else
    \message{German Hyphenation Patterns (Traditional Orthography)}
    % Kept for the sake of backward compatibility, but newer and better patterns
by WL are available.
    \input dehypht.tex
\fi

(And a similar thing for ngerman.)

Now I remember clearly having discussed it on texhyphen. The point is (as the
comment explain), there are two sets of german patterns: one "old" set,
dehyph(n).tex and a newer set. The decision was made to make the old sets the
default for old (8-bit) engines for compatibility, but to use the newer sets
with newer (Unicode-capable) engines. On both kind of engines, "experimental"
patterns are available as (n)german-x-latest. IIRC, currently those
"experimental" patterns are the same as the "new" patterns loaded for (n)german
under Unicode engines.

So, what to do?

- If you think the new patterns are wrong in the way the hyphenate Andenken, you
should bug their maintainer (Werner Lemberg <wl-at-gnu.org> according to the
copyright notice, but Stephan Hennig <mailing_list-at-arcor.de> seems to be
involved too).

- If you'd like babel to provided a way to use the "experimental" (currently =
"new") patterns, you should probably ask the maintainer of german.ldf.

- If you have any other concern about the way patterns are handled, the
texhyphen list may be a good place for discussion.

hth,
Manuel.

PS: http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-hyphen/2010-May/000585.html holds complete
information about the current state of German patterns, though I'm not sure it
is easy to read.