[luatex] Translating TeX (obviously a feature request).

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Aug 1 12:54:03 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 08/01/2010 12:06 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 11:46:15AM +0200, Paul Isambert wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Since LuaTeX reaches down to TeX's most intimate parts (its bowels, of course),
>> I was wondering whether there is any plan to give access to TeX's messages,...
>>
>> tex.internal_error("undefined_cs","Commande non définie")
>>
>> would replace TeX's "Undefined control sequence" by the French message....
>
> I was thinking about localising TeX a while ago too, but I was thinking
> in a more conventional way: using GNU gettext to localise TeX messages,  ...

I am not a big fan of using gettext() because it is a nightmare on
Windows. But also, errors in TeX do not have names, and sometimes
the help text is the only difference between certain errors.

My actual plan is to create a callback function in luatex to actually
report the error to the user, and give to that function the formal
error message and the error help as arguments, as well as a hint
on how to handle user feedback. That way, lua code will be able
to hook in whatever translation and/or user response that is needed
(but it needs quite a bit of internal luatex reshuffling so this
will probably be for luatex 0.80)

Best wishes,
Taco