[luatex] Direction of hbox inside math

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Apr 13 22:32:02 CEST 2010

On 13 April 2010 Taco Hoekwater wrote:

 > > ConTeXt can do tables with no resorting to math mode and it works very
 > > well for Arabic, so it is a matter of stupid LaTeX choice than lack of
 > > proper primitives.
 >
 > Right, so let's forget about latex's tabular in the rest of the
 > discussion. Patching the executable for this reason is even worse
 > than having to patch the latex source code.

Hi,
I'm not sure that one always can assume that everything in mathmode is
actually math.  People might put small graphics into a math
environment in order to make use of /abovedisplay{,short}skip.  This
is not only LaTeX related.

As far as graphics are concerned, this is not a big problem.  But
maybe people want to put a framed box containing text into a math
environment for the same reason.  In this case one wouldn't expect
that the writing direction of the text inside a box depends on whether
the box is inside a math environment or not.  I can't oversee all the
implications, but I think it can't hurt to mention this issue at
least.

BTW, are the primitives /abovedisplay{,short}skip handled properly
by LuaTeX already?  I can't derive it from the PDF files Vafa posted
to the list.  Vafa, you could add something like this to your test
suite:

a quite long line of text
$$ <math formula> $$
a word