[luatex] tex.enableprimitives producing non-primitives?

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Wed Sep 23 10:43:15 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:01:29AM +0300, Élie Roux wrote:

> this mininal example fails with   tex.enableprimitives('',
> tex.extraprimitives()) in the (plain) format :
>
> \directlua{tex.enableprimitives('testprefix', {'attribute'})}
>
> \testprefixattribute 3 = 4
>
> \pdfprimitive\attribute 4=5
>
> \pdfprimitive\testprefixattribute 3 = 4
>
> \end
>
> it says "Missing primitive name on l7". Is it normal ?

Afaik yes.

> This behaviour
> looks strange to me, as testprefixattribute should be a primitive...

Yes, but that doesn't matter, it needs the original primitive name.
The purpose is, to get the primitive meaning, even if the command
is redefined later as macro or whatever, e.g. after

  \let\attribute\hbox
  \pdfprimitive\attribute

you get the original meaning of \attribute, not a \hbox.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>