[luatex] BOM

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri May 15 14:21:22 CEST 2009

Ulrike Fischer a écrit :
> As far as I remember, xetex does such a preprocessing. It reads the
> first byte(s) to identify the encoding (it can handle utf8 and both
> utf16) and while doing it also removes the BOM.

And it's perfectly doable with LuaTeX using a Lua callback if desired. Here I
agree with Hans and Taco, that there is no need for the engine itself to support
this: it belongs to the format or the user.

I think Taco's proposal is right: make the catcode of the BOM 9 in initex, and
(as always) let the user/format do something else if they want to.

Manuel.