[luatex] BOM

Javier Bezos listas at tex-tipografia.com
Fri May 15 09:45:38 CEST 2009

> I could set
>
>   \catcode "FEFF = 9
>
> as part of the initex initialization code. That would do the trick, yes?

Yes, provided the source is in uft-8. Actually, the BOM produces
different arrays of bytes depending on the encoding, and therefore the
trick doesn't work with, say, utf16 or utf7, except if we first set how
the file should be read -- since the BOM must be the very first thing in
the file, this means we need to do some kind of preprocessing, which is
not always desirable or convenient. Of ourse, how the BOM is handled is
to be determined by the format, but catching it is not easy and very
likely a callback will be necessary to read the string of bytes at the
beginning of the file (I presume it's possible).

Javier