[luatex] Luatex primitive names

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Mar 11 14:41:40 CET 2009

Javier Múgica a écrit :
>> Please note that in the above scenario no one is using LuaTeX before it becomes
>> stable. The only assumption made is that there will still be pre-0.5 versions
>> around when 1.0 will be out. And I repeat: given the age of the TeX systems
>> still being used today, this case will most certainly happen.
>
> It is enough that somebody tell him that LuaTeX is a program from 2012
> and so he cannot compile with older software. Indeed, he would most
> likely ask the friend who suggested him the use of luatex what's the
> problem and he will get the answer from him that he has to use a
> recent Latex version.

So we just don't live in the same world. In my real world with the users I know,
 things don't work like that. People don't always have a TeX-knowledgeable
friend (ok, my example was bad: suppose they copied the code from a random web
page (which real users often do) or heard it from someone who heard it from
someone who... etc.), and are often easily scared by such cryptic error messages
as TeX produces so often.

In a general way, it's surprising how few they daily users, such as
mathematicians, understand about TeX in general and especially their TeX
installation. (Guess how many OS X users answer TeXShop when you ask which TeX
distribution they use? Now imagine about the version.)

Anyway, using \luatexversion + \directlua{tex.luatexversion} solves the problem,
so the discussion ends here for me.

Manuel.