[luatex] Luatex primitive names

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Mar 11 12:20:38 CET 2009

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Heiko Oberdiek a écrit :
>> Thus the syntax change for \directlua (and perhaps later
>> changes) vote for something extra:
>> \luatexversion is a good choice in my opinion.
>
> One can also think of the following compromise: continue exposing \luatexversion
> as long as the \directlua syntax is not stable. Then expose only \directlua. So
> on can use (pseudo-code)
>
> \IfDefined{directlua}{%
>   \IfDefined{luatexversion}{%
>     % use \luatexversion
>   }{%
>     \directlua{%
>     % or whatever the stable syntax of \directlua is
>     if tex.luatexversion == nil then
>       -- not running LuaTeX
>     else
>       -- use tex.luatexversion
>     end
>   }%
> }

\ifdefined\directlua
   \ifdefined\luatexversion \else
     \edef\luatexversion{\directlua0{tex.print(tex.luatexversion}}
   \fi
\fi

now, since pre 0.40 all primitives are there anyway and since no
primitives other than \directlua are available 0.4 upwards ...

\ifdefined\directlua
   \ifdefined\luatexversion \else
     \edef\luatexversion
       {\directlua\ifdefined\latelua0\fi{tex.print(tex.luatexversion}}
   \fi
\fi

or something like that (well, not that i'd do it that way myself but ...)

also, as said before, the \directlua syntax *will be stable* in 0.40