[luatex] Luatex primitive names

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Wed Mar 11 10:30:05 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 09:08:40AM +0100, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
> >
> >BTW, from the experience of the history of pdfTeX, I would like
> >some version information in the LuaTeX manual:
> >* Mapping \luatexversion -> official LuaTeX version number
>
> I do not understand what you mean.

Example pdfTeX:

* 100 <= \pdftexversion < 130:
  first number of \pdftexversion, ".",
  last two numbers of \pdftexversion, \pdftexrevision
  e.g. 1.10b
* \pdftexversion >= 130:
  first number of \pdftexversion, ".",
  last two numbers of \pdftexversion, ".", \pdftexrevision
  e.g. 1.40.9

> >* Version information for each feature/primitive, when
> >  it was introduced and when changes occur.
>
> I can do that starting with the next version. But the manual
> may be incomplete for a while yet, this is not a top priority
> for me.

Thanks, it helps writing well behaving packages, e.g. (pseudo code):
  \IfUndefined{NiceFeature}{%
    \ErrorOrWarning{%
      \NiceFeature is not available,
      it was introduced in version x.y,
      update ...
    }%
  }{...}
Or
  \IfVersionGreaterXY{%
    Use \NiceFeature
  }{%
    Otherwise (workaround, less effective implementation, ...)
  }%

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>