[luatex] Luatex primitive names

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Mar 10 19:51:04 CET 2009

Taco Hoekwater a écrit :
> For that, I assume it would be better if luatex exposed \luatexversion
> by default also? Fine by me, just make up your collective mind and let
> me know if that makes more sense.

FWIW, I think expostion \luatexversion is the simplest, hence the best, solution.

> I(We) won't mind adding a paragraph to the manual (and this new way of
> handling primitives needs explaining in "section one" for sure) but
> how to deal the runtime detection for the (lua)(pdf)latex format in
> practice is not a decision I want to make, nor think about.

I agree with you that the runtime detection should belong to the format.
However, given that things running on top of LaTeX2e will probably need to
detect the engine themselves a least for some time, it's best to provide and
document a simple and reliable detection mechanism.

My primary concern here is to try and avoid reproducing the problems with wrong
\pdfoutput hacks as Ulrike said.

Manuel.