[luatex] macros to invoke lua in LaTeX

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 18:29:11 CET 2009

On 2009-03-07 20:02:17 +1030, Robin Fairbairns
<Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> said:

> (i'm not even a particularly long-
> serving user of tex, having only started in 1987.)

Hmmm, perhaps you don't want to know what *I* was doing in 1987 :)

* * *

Anyway, if the LaTeX team is serious about preventing backwards
compatibility problems, then we should do things like rename LuaTeX
primitives into a "namespace" such that older documents won't be
affected (within reasonable expectations of what naming schemes are
being used in the wild).

I could imagine a future LaTeX configuration file doing something like
the following to ensure that documents written for legacy versions of
LaTeX still compile without problems.

\ifluatex
   \let\formatname\luatex at formatname\let\formatname\@undefined
\fi