[luatex] macros to invoke lua in LaTeX

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Mar 7 10:32:17 CET 2009

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> There had been a discussion about namespaces on the LaTeX-3 mailing
> list a few years ago.  It was Hans Aberg who proposed namespaces, if I
> remember correctly.  As far as I remember, he had not been able to
> convince the LaTeX team.  I don't remember the details.  If you are
> interested, dig out the mail archives.

hans aberg was proposing stuff that seemed to me (at the time)
completely un-implementable.  we have a proposed namespace package for
latex 3, now -- much simpler than i remember aberg's proposal, and (i
think) up to the job.

not that there are many people writing latex 3 packages, just now.

> In short:  I'm not against namespaces at all.  But I think they
> make more sense in macro packages than in primitives.

"namespace" is a rather strong term for what we've been asking for: i
would call it, rather, a naming convention -- just a suggestion for the
structure of names.

i _know_ i'm late to the luatex business (i've done nothing but read
papers since pont-a-mousson), and i've written no luatex code.  so my
feeling is a gut feeling only.  (i'm not even a particularly long-
serving user of tex, having only started in 1987.)  sorry.

robin