[luatex] macros to invoke lua in LaTeX

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 05:13:24 CET 2009

On 2009-03-07 11:41:20 +1030, Reinhard Kotucha
<reinhard.kotucha at web.de> said:

> There had been a discussion about namespaces on the LaTeX-3 mailing
> list a few years ago.  It was Hans Aberg who proposed namespaces, if I
> remember correctly.  As far as I remember, he had not been able to
> convince the LaTeX team.  I don't remember the details.  If you are
> interested, dig out the mail archives.

I haven't been too successful finding the relevant thread. I remember
Philip Lehman proposed a "poor man's namespace" for packages, but
that's not really the same thing.

What LaTeX3 does currently is to rename all engine primitives to remove
them from the user namespace.

E.g.,
  \write -> \tex_write:D
  \protected -> \etex_protected:D
  \pdfstrcmp -> \pdf_strcmp:D

So as far as LaTeX3 is concerned, it doesn't matter what the primitives
are called :) But that's no help to the problem at hand.

Will