[luatex] macros to invoke lua in LaTeX

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Mar 6 01:08:53 CET 2009

On 5 March 2009 Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

 > On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 11:07:51PM +0100, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 >
 > > Regarding namespaces: It's a good idea at first glance.  But I don't
 > > think there is any need to be concerned about macro packages people
 > > write in the future.  Macro writers have to read the specifications
 > > anyway.  They have to read the TeXbook if they want to support Knuth's
 > > tex, they have to read the pdfTeX manual if they want to support
 > > pdftex, and they have to read the LuaTeX manual if they want to support
 > > Luatex.  Same for e-TeX, XeTeX, Omega, and derivates.
 >
 > Another reason for prefixes. As package author I wouldn't want
 > to check all engines for name clashes.

You have to check anyway.  At least if you want to support all
engines.  e-TeX provides new primitives, why can't luatex do the same?

 > Also it's quite difficult to check future name clashes, especially
 > for user land macro names.

Please try LaTeX's \newcommand .

 > > Hans already explained why new primitives don't break old macro
 > > packages.  So, where is the problem?
 >
 > Mixing old with new packages.

Forget the old stuff.  Nobody forces anyone to process old documents
with luatex.

You can't expect any progress if you insist on compatibility with
stuff written three decades ago.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25