[luatex] macros to invoke lua in LaTeX

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Mar 5 12:03:04 CET 2009

Will Robertson wrote:

> I'm not suggesting this seriously, but you could prefix new primitives
> with chars that are usually "other"  to dramatically lower the chances
> of a clash. E.g.,  \^scantextokens, \^directlua, and whatever.

each macro package has its own usage of prefixes so that would not solve
the problem; of course one can remap primitives quite early after

\let\^scantextokens\scantextokens

and when in macro package xyz this is agreed upon it also avoids
discussions at the engine dev level

also, prefixing with \@reserved at scantextokens or whatever is rather safe
too (and efficient)

any namespace switching mechanism would bring its own problems (mixed
namespaces, more code, clashes too); it's all about managaging code and
the only way out there is clear rules forusers that want to extend a
macro package

>> Actual known clashes are a different issue, and we do try quite hard
>> to avoid such names: for example, luatex will never get \begin as a
>> new primitive.
>
> Are you aware, Karl, of any namespace collisions that have already
> occured? I do understand your concern, but I imagine that only a very
> small number of old documents will be affected by the LuaTeX primitives.

well, i myself ran into it several times -)

also, users redefining primitives are out of anyones control -)