[luatex] Why obsolete the fontforge name space?

Yue Wang yuleopen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 17:15:44 CEST 2009

Hi, Taco:

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Taco Hoekwater<taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Yue Wang wrote:
>>
>> Li Yanrui's profile results confirms my opinion:
>> during font loading, Lua uses very short time to build tables. most of
>> the time are used by fontforge (parsing fonts and calculating).
>> see http://yuleopen.googlepages.com/prof.txt
>
>> and it is difficult to optimize fontforge there are several, not just
>> one or two, functions takes very long time to execute.
>
> It is more straightforward than you think: it is spending most of its
> time on work that is needed to calculate glyph boundingboxes correctly.
>
> I can add code to support a switch to do a "simplified boundingbox"
> discovery only, and that would drop the font loading time considerably.

well, that's great! in fact "simplified boundingbox" == "control box"
used in freetype2.
If you can do that, please help to solve this problem. Thanks.

> But font loading is normally a one-time process of which the results
> are cached, so this does not have a high priority.

True for ConTeXt. but a great pain for Chinese TeX Society to develop
a TeX/LaTeX support package --- We should wait before the computer,
with a cup of tea, watching the screen closely for minutes to see the
actual coding result. And each compilation takes the package user a
long time.

> Best wishes,
> Taco

Yue Wang