[luatex] hyphenation question

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 09:29:33 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Reinhard Kotucha
<reinhard.kotucha at web.de>wrote:

> On 18 January 2009 Yannis Haralambous wrote:
>
>  > NO NO NO there is no such thing as "uppercase" and "lowercase" Kana!!!
>  >
>  > If you seen two different sizes (for ***some*** of the characters)
>  > this is because the smaller characters have a special function: they
>  > are vowels which will change the vowel part of a syllable. For
>  > example, you have a syllable "chi" if you add a small "a" it will
>  > become "cha" (if you add a big "a" you will have two syllables "chi-a").
>
> Hi Yannis,
> maybe I had been confused by things I found in the Unicode book:
>
>  LATIN SMALL LETTER A
>  LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A
>
> I assumed that
>
>  HIRAGANA LETTER SMALL A
>  HIRAGANA LETTER A
>
> is something similar but I always wondered why Kana have so few
> 'SMALL' characters.  What you said explains a lot.  Thank you very
> much for the explanation.

I have found useful these books

1)
Fonts & encodings
Yannis Haralambous, P. Horne, P Scott Horne
Edition: illustrated
O'Reilly, 2007
ISBN 0596102429, 9780596102425
1016 pag.

2) The Unicode Standard 5.0: 5.0
Julie D. Allen, Unicode Consortium, Unicode Consortium
Edition: 5, illustrated, revised
Addison-Wesley, 2007
ISBN 0321480910, 9780321480910
1417 pagine

3)
CJKV Information Processing, Second Edition
Ken Lunde <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/297>
December 2008
Pages: 900
ISBN 10: 0-596-51447-6 | ISBN 13: 9780596514471

--
luigi