[luatex] convention for lua packages and file names

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Feb 18 02:24:59 CET 2009

    Here is a concrete example: I'm finishing a package that uses mplib to

What is the name of the package?  mplib?  That would concern me, since
mplib is the project name of the actual library.

    The .lua file registers a module called 'metapost'. I think the

I think using such a generic name is undesirable.  Yours probably won't
be the only package using MetaPost from LuaTeX.  Instead, I think the
module should include the package name somehow.

    When the package is for LuaTeX only, should it have a prefix in its
    name? for instance should I call the package mplib.sty, lua-mplib.sty or
    luamplib.sty?

luamplib by analogy with the xe... that we have for many xetex-specific
packages.  Although it's not perfect, since lua has other meanings
besides luatex.  luatexmplib?  Yuck.

I don't have a good answer right now.  It deserves some thought.
Outlining (again) the different packages you have in mind right now
could help.

Thanks,