[luatex] writing in output files

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Feb 17 21:13:02 CET 2009

Elie Roux wrote:
> Hans Hagen a écrit :
>>> Of course, texio.sprint("\write2{titi}") is forbiden, as the idea
>>> would be to eventually overwrite \write...
>>
>> tex.sprint("\write2{titi}")
>>
>> is ok and of course you can use io.open and friends
>
> The idea was precisely to do it without the write macro... and the idea
> is to write in the aux file, this means something that will be opened
> with TeX (I can't do anything about it).
>
> I hope there is a solution...

writing to such a file involves buffering and such and the lua and tex
file handling is isolated; the tex.sprint method is pretty save

on the long term we might provide more tex.<primitive> support; there
are more primitives not accessible from lua now) but don't count on that
too much on the short term; the focus is currently on getting math
support done, and after that to sort out some tracker items and do some
cleanup; after that comes a period of stabilization towards version 0.50
and then next year a new round of thingies.

so, if i were you i'd just go for the tex.sprint method and revision it
when other means come available (most of the luatex related code i wrote
was rewritten several times and probably will be rewritten as we
proceed; keep in mind that much is still experimental; btw, around 0.50
we will define the stable subset so far)