[luatex] convention for lua packages and file names

Elie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Tue Feb 17 18:44:33 CET 2009

Hello,

uploading the lua packages made me think about something: what do you
think should be the conventions for lua packages names and lua file
names (outside of ConTeXt)?

Here is a concrete example: I'm finishing a package that uses mplib to
typeset some metapost directly in LuaTeX, it only works in LuaTeX. The
file contains a .sty file, a .tex file (for Plain), and a .lua file.

The .lua file registers a module called 'metapost'. I think the
convention should be to call the file 'metapost.lua', to have a parallel
with LaTeX: like foo.sty provides the package foo, bar.lua should
provide the module bar.

When the package is for LuaTeX only, should it have a prefix in its
name? for instance should I call the package mplib.sty, lua-mplib.sty or
luamplib.sty?

In the case of a package that is adapted to LuaTeX, like inputenc for
example, I think it should be names luainputenc (not lua-inputenc).

I'll put this convention in a (future) luatextra package...

Thank you in advance,
--
Elie