[luatex] lua-inputenc

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Tue Feb 17 10:20:25 CET 2009

Am Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:42:19 +0100 schrieb Elie Roux:

> Ulrike Fischer a écrit :
>> Did you try what happens if the user use \protect or \string?
>> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
>> \usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}
>> \begin{document}
>> \tableofcontents
>> \catcode`\ü=12
>> \section{ä ü \protect ä \string ä}
>> \end{document}
>
> It doesn't work: it needs the aux file to be in ascii, to be read as if
> it were 8-bit (I know there may be some encodings that are not exactly
> ascii for 0 - 127, but you see what I mean) or utf.

There is no "or". If the aux-file contains only ascii characters it
is an utf8-file. So it is no wonder that it works then.

> I'll try some
> experiments, but if becomes too heavy, I'll deal with something else
> (like finishing the mplib package). I think the luainputenc package has
> reached a reasonable point, and that some important things have to be
> dealt with before the use of \protect in the section names...

The \protect was only there to test if non-ascii auxiliary files
work. As it doesn't work probably all verbatim-like outputs will
break, e.g.

\documentclass[11pt]{beamer}
\usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\begin{document}
\begin{frame}[fragile]
äöü
\end{frame}
\end{document}

definitions in lua-inputenc) to get the correct mappings of the
non-ascii char to the font positions, and it will have the effect
that large parts of the auxiliary files are ascii files, but it is
at best a crutch.

Commands comparable to \XeTeXinputencoding and \XeTeXdefaultencoding
would be very useful, and it would be fine if your package would
provide them. But your try to protect users to have to declare or
change the encoding of their files is at my opinion bound to fail
and a dead end.

--
Ulrike Fischer