[luatex] plain LuaTeX

Robin Fairbairns rf10 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 11 09:16:44 CET 2009

luigi scarso <luigi.scarso at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Well, it's not intended to change the file plain.tex.  The idea is to
> > add extensions when the format file for luatex is created, for
> > example:
> >
> > \input plain
> > \input extensions
> > \dump
>
> well, why not
> \input luaplain
> \dump
> ?

for the same reason we don't have pdfplain.tex and so on: maintenance of
the result.

in the unlikely event that don corrects a bug in plain, each
conglomerate plain package would have to be updated.  with the existing
setup, the correction happens automatically (ctan and packaging updates
happen [almost] automatically).

note that we *have* had a plain correction since pdftex hit the streets,
so the hypothesis isn't entirely fanciful.

robin