[luatex] using (pdf)lualatex

Yue Wang yuleopen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 16:50:36 CET 2009

Hi, Taco:

> You can forget about memory savings for the near future, then.

Then why should we calculate the bounding box for each glyph? Well, as
far as I know, I think it is needed when composing pages (glue the
line boxes together into a page). But now different fonts/font
types/TeX implementations have their own understanding of bounding
boxes (also known as the font metrics), and they are very different
from the original TeX's and Computer Modern's [see Hans'
fontspecial-p.pdf]. Moreover, using the rules in TeX (baselineskip and
friends) are not strict to test whether two glyphs' bounding box are
overlapped with each other. So I don't think bounding box for each
glyph is needed in this situation, maybe we can use CFF's FontBBox as
the largest value to test if the distance between two lines are good.
Just my two cents.

Anyway, if you insist on the current implementation, go ahead, it's also great:)
But I will test luapdflatex later until I buy a new computer if it
does not provide a font cache feature......

Yue Wang