[luatex] compiling luatex on windows

Paweł Jackowski P.Jackowski at gust.org.pl
Mon Aug 3 14:06:07 CEST 2009

Hi,

if that can help; I compile luatex at least once a week. I used XP, then
I switched to Vista just copying MinGW/MSYS to the new environment and
it just works.

But I did have problems at the very beggining with preparing MinGW/MSYS
to handle luatex sources. As far as I remember, the most problematic
part was make. The make program that comes with MinGW (newer then the
one from MSYS) seemed to loop on recusrive calls (make calls within
makefiles). What works with luatex sources for me is make version
3.79.1. By now I'm using  MinGW 5.1.3, MSYS 1.0.10.

Some time ago I was trying to upgrade the environment to newer msys, but
it failed. I mean after the upgrade, while trying to build luatex, 'ls
-t' configure test failed pass for some reason, 'rm' command stopped
accepting wildcards... I dunno	what was the exact reason, but it is
possible that these issue were somehow related to the shell in which the
commands are executed. Having a terrible expirience with msys shell
(rxvt.exe stuff) I use standard cmd.exe (or the one underneath FAR manager).

So having all the stuff linked to PATH, I build luatex sources with the
following:

cd trunk
svn update
sh --login build.sh --make