[luatex] compiling luatex on windows

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Aug 2 12:35:36 CEST 2009

Hi,

Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any instruction on how to compile luatex for windows? What
> software do I need?

Mingw (& MSYS) should work out of the box (or at least almost, problems
should be trivial to solve) as that is what I use for cross-compiling.

   http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started

Besides the core system and MSYS, you will also need to install a
bunch of build tools: gcc-g++, gmake, autoconf and automake.

I prefer using gcc 3 because it is faster itself and generates
faster executables. Gcc 4 supports exceptions better, but that
does not really matter for luatex.

Cygwin should also work out of the box, as somebody build texlive
for cygwin, but I don't know any details about that.

Akira's binaries are MSVC (I believe), but probably need extra
patches and/or .mak files from Akira.

Best wishes,
Taco