[luatex] ini files for TL 2009

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Mon Apr 20 09:39:10 CEST 2009

Am Sun, 19 Apr 2009 17:40:07 +0200 schrieb Arno Trautmann:

>>> Why not take luatex --dvi-output?

>> but wouldn't this mean that one can't have two different .ini files for
>> dvi and pdf mode? They are not identical, i guess.

> I don’t think so. The argument should just load a small file with maybe
> only the one line \pdfoutput=0 and then load the normal .ini.

The ini-file are used during format _generation_ but
--output-mode=dvi should set output mode in a normal compilation, so
it can't have an influence on the ini-file used by the format.

As a format in general sets \pdfoutput --output-mode must change it
_after_ the format is loaded to have an effect. As far as I can see
the current implementation of --output-mode=dvi (in miktex) does it
this way: pdflatex --output-mode=dvi first loads the format and then
(re)sets \pdfoutput to 0.

But this also means that the format is generated with a different
value of \pdfoutput then the one later used in the document.
Currently this shouldn't be a problem, but in the future it could be
that the format contain mode-dependant code (e.g. for graphics or
otf-font support), so in general I do find it a cleaner solution if
format and document use the same \pdfoutput value.

--
Ulrike Fischer