[luatex] ini files for TL 2009

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 17 14:59:58 CEST 2009

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> >
> > But I think that names should reflect the behaviour.
>
> That would assume dviluatex and pdfluatex, and no luatex.ini
> at all (and actually that would be fine by me).
>
> I know you are concerned with backward compatibility with pdftex,
> but the fact is that luatex's dvi mode is worthless whenever
> fonts in opentype format are being used. And the new font support is
> the most important argument for using luatex in the first place,
> so insisting on dvi output seems somewhat backward to me.

we have our eyes on the time when luatex takes its full place in the
panoply of tex systems.

just now we have tex (virgin, for don's use, and those who strive to be
like him), and pdfetex engines.

it would be nice if luatex could replace pdfetex in that, but then we
would need to cover all the dvi-output-only stuff, which is of course
written using (at best) type 1 fonts.

are you saying that type 1 and mf fonts will no longer be usable?  (i
don't remember anyone saying anything about mf fonts for luatex, but if
you have a dvi mode at all i would expect all the historic apparatus to
continue to work without any extra effort on your part.)

we *still* get ctan submissions of mf -- had an historic turkish font
only last week.

i suppose there's a place for someone to grind away converting all
remaining mf-only fonts ... and i suppose the job might be complete by
2012 and the grand release.  but until that starts happening, let's not
hold our collective breath!

robin