[luatex] ini files for TL 2009

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Apr 17 00:51:47 CEST 2009

    > Can I object, please? Why pretend that luatex is nothing more than
    > pdftex?

I agree.  Sorry, I didn't realize the implication.

    I think it's about backward compatibility when (in the long term) LuaTeX
    will replace pdfTeX (if it does)...

It doesn't make sense to me for "luatex" to not provide anything extra.
It seems to me that (pdf)lua(la)tex should provide the luatex
primitives, just as pdf(la)tex provides pdftex primitives, etc.

If luatex is *invoked* as pdftex, then it should only have pdftex
primitives.  That would be done in pdftex.ini, not any *lua*.ini.  We're
years away (at least) from that, though.

Am I missing something?

    Also... should we enable pdfTeX primitives in luatex, or even eTeX ones?

IMHO yes.  Everything.

    When tex is invoked (in TL) it is just TeX82, maybe we should keep this
    behaviour for luatex?

Not IMHO.  luatex != tex.