[luatex] Vital RTL issues in LuaTeX

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Fri Apr 10 09:45:27 CEST 2009

Le 10 avr. 09 à 08:11, وفا خلیقی a écrit :

> With RTL and LuaTeX there are vital issues that is ignored currently:
>
> - It is not true that everything that was LTR in RTL mode should be
> the other way
>
> e.g: if you have \pagedir TRT \bodydr TRT \pardir TRT \textdir TRT,
> then everything will be RTL but there are issues:
>
> 1- In persian we read numbers from left to right (thirteen=13) but
> imagine in the table of contents, if the direction of the document
> is RTL, then instead 13 we get 31 which is read 'thirty one' in
> Persian.

that's the case in all RTL languages (Arabic, Hebrew, Syriac, etc.).
In Omega we were processing numbers using OTPs.

> 2- There are things both in LTR and Persian (perhaps in RTL as well)
> that luatex's direction change does not make any sense, for example
> \leftline, \rightline, \raggedleft, \raggedright and etc. In both
> directions we want for example \leftline put some text at the left
> and \rightline put some text at the right hand side because that is
> what it should be but in LuaTeX in RTL, \leftline stands for
> \rightline and \rightline stands for \leftline which is nonesense.

and there is a third issue: images. Often you will use different
images whether you are in RTL or LTR mode (imagine an arrow or a
pointing hand, it will have to point in the opposite direction). For
that you may need a test \ifRTL\includegraphics{...}\else
\includegraphics{...}\fi

--
+
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at telecom-
bretagne.eu |
| Directeur d'Études                      http://omega.enstb.org/
yannis |
|                                             Tel. +33
(0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                             Fax  +33
(0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département
Informatique                                              |
| Télécom
Bretagne                                                      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest Cedex 3,
France     |
| Coordonnées Google-Earth : 48°21'31.57"N
4°34'16.76"W                 |
+
                             ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un
aquarium,
                                            mieux vaut n'être pas
poisson

                            ...the ball I threw while playing in the
park
                                           has not yet reached the
ground

               Es gab eine Zeit, wo ich nur ungern über Schubert
sprechen,
            nur Nächtens den Bäumen und Sternen von ihm vorerzählen
mögen.