[luatex] Vital RTL issues in LuaTeX

وفا خلیقی vafakh9 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 08:11:49 CEST 2009

With RTL and LuaTeX there are vital issues that is ignored currently:

- It is not true that everything that was LTR in RTL mode should be the
other way

e.g: if you have \pagedir TRT \bodydr TRT \pardir TRT \textdir TRT, then
everything will be RTL but there are issues:

1- In persian we read numbers from left to right (thirteen=13) but imagine
in the table of contents, if the direction of the document is RTL, then
instead 13 we get 31 which is read 'thirty one' in Persian.

2- There are things both in LTR and Persian (perhaps in RTL as well) that
luatex's direction change does not make any sense, for example \leftline,
\rightline, \raggedleft, \raggedright and etc. In both directions we want
for example \leftline put some text at the left and \rightline put some text
at the right hand side because that is what it should be but in LuaTeX in
RTL, \leftline stands for \rightline and \rightline stands for \leftline
which is nonesense.