[luatex] otf fonts (ligatures, cache, etc.)

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Tue Apr 7 15:26:03 CEST 2009

σ/ς are legitimately distinct characters!
In front of a period you can have both: φίλος. (= φίλος),
φιλοσ. (= φιλοσοφία), so it must be up to the user to
choose, the font should not interfere
If you want glyph-level transformations, there are at least two of
them which are very important:

1) initial beta -> medial beta inside the word or at the end of the
word (attention: this should not happen when writing numbers)

2) at paragraph begin (not *line* begin, but *paragraph* begin or
*verse* begin) breathings should be outside the glyph bbox for capital
Epsilon, Upsilon and partly outside the glyph box for capital Alpha,
Omicron, Rho, Omega. This allows alignment at the level of the letter
so that breathings and accents are like inside an \llap (with kerning).

--
+
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at telecom-
bretagne.eu |
| Directeur d'Études                      http://omega.enstb.org/
yannis |
|                                             Tel. +33
(0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                             Fax  +33
(0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département
Informatique                                              |
| Télécom
Bretagne                                                      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest Cedex 3,
France     |
| Coordonnées Google-Earth : 48°21'31.57"N
4°34'16.76"W                 |
+
                             ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un
aquarium,
                                            mieux vaut n'être pas
poisson

                            ...the ball I threw while playing in the
park
                                           has not yet reached the
ground

               Es gab eine Zeit, wo ich nur ungern über Schubert
sprechen,
            nur Nächtens den Bäumen und Sternen von ihm vorerzählen
mögen.