[luatex] luatex's pause

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Apr 7 08:52:12 CEST 2009

Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

>>From the manual:
>
> | Only the string representation of \patterns and \hyphenation is stored in
> | the format file. At format load time, they are simply re-evaluated. It
> | follows that there is no real reason to preload languages in the format
> | file. In fact, it is usually not a good idea to do so. It is much smarter
> | to load patterns no sooner than the first time they are actually needed.

Ah, I should have remembered that.

This explains why my own delay is much shorter, I still have an ancient
language.dat that loads only 8 or 10 languages.

It would be better for pdflualatex not to load language.dat at all
and just hook pattern and exception loading into \selectlanguage,
but I have no idea how one out set that up, that needs a LaTeX expert.

Best wishes,
Taco