[luatex] otf fonts (ligatures, cache, etc.)

Elie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Mon Apr 6 21:04:11 CEST 2009

Hello,

I'm improving luaminimalotf, now (with great help from Hans) it supports
ligatures and substitutions pretty well. I think I'll rename it
luaotfload, as it will care about otf loading (with the XeTeX font
syntax) and features setting. I'll also make another package to adapt
the mechanisms to LaTeX, with the same syntax as fontec does for XeTeX.
I don't know yet if it will be an adaptation of fontspec or if I'll
rewrite things from scratch...

I have a few questions about otf support, and the way TeX and ConTeXt
handle things. First is it possible to declare ligatures of three
glyphs? for example 1/4 (I'm sure there are more pertinent examples in
languages I don't know)? I didn't find it in the manual...

Also, how should I handle font cache? For example when I ask to load the
same font (with same options) with different size, should I reopen the
font (with all the fontloader.open things) entirely, or just copy the
old one and rescale it?

I finally got an answer from Frank, he refuses to let a third-party
package be loaded by inputenc, and he thinks things are not stable
enough now to be integrated. We'll see next year... The problem being
that luainputenc really needs a lot of code from luatextra and
luamcallbacks, and I think it would be stupid to duplicate it into
luainputenc for its integration into LaTeX... In the meantime,
luainputenc now loads inputenc if called with pdfTeX, and xetex-inputenc
if called with XeTeX.

Thank you,
--
Elie