[luatex] luatex's pause

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Apr 2 02:55:47 CEST 2009

On 1 April 2009 Taco Hoekwater wrote:

 > وفا خلیقی wrote:
 > > Yes, I run pdflualatex from TeXLive 2008.
 > >

 > The one thing I can come up with is that there is a problem with the
 > search path setup that is slowing down the kpathsea library.
 >
 > You can check the output of
 >
 >   pdflualatex --kpathsea-debug=-1 ...
 >
 > to check whether it is spending a lot of time find files. If it does,
 > then I suggest you reroute your question to the texlive list (and
 > otherwise I have no idea how to help either, sorry)

Hi Taco,
I'm not sure that it's a TeX Live issue.

$ time pdflatex \\stop
real    0m0.098s
user    0m0.080s
sys     0m0.016s

$ time pdflualatex \\stop
real    0m2.329s
user    0m2.192s
sys     0m0.132s

I tried this repeatedly, with similar results.

Can you reproduce it with the TeX Live 2008 binaries?  I suppose that
the delay is caused by loading the format file, both format files are
quite different indeed.  I don't see any other difference.

The pause occurs after luatex writes the banner to screen and before
anything else appears on screen.  The next thing I see after the pause
is

  LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>

which implies that the problem doesn't occur after the format file is
loaded.  If there is something wrong with search paths in texmf.cnf at
all, then it's most likely the search path for format files.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25