[lltx] Today's update

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed May 29 15:34:25 CEST 2013

On May 29, 2013, at 8:18 AM, Philipp Gesang <Philipp.Gesang at alumni.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:

> Are you referring to the font cache or the names database? Both
> can be very slow. When luaotfload builds a new database it should
> print this:
>
>    luaotfload | db: Font names database not found, generating new one.
>
> At least here it does. Anyways, this is only half of a two-line
> message that is being truncated due to the way how texio works
> (happens all the time cause we can’t flush output manually).
> It’s possible that on your terminal nothing is printed at all
> (check the log, the message should be there).

Howdy,

I don't think I saw that message on the console while compiling the file. Now I see that it seems to appear on the console AFTER the work is done.

> I’ll see what I can do about it.
>
>> The many malloc warning messages for luaotfload and
>> luaotfload-tool under OS X 10.5 (at least PPC) are still present
>> when creating the font cache. To be expected since I first
>> discovered that yesterday. Note: the process continues and the
>> cache seems to be properly created since the files compile
>> correctly.
>
> I read your other message to the list but I’m afraid I can’t
> reproduce this on my system (not a mac). If others have the same
> problem it might be best to report it to the luatex list.
>
> Best regards
> Philipp

I'm only seeing it when I test on a Mac OS X 10.5 PPC system. I don't have access to an Intel system running OS X 10.5 so I don't know if it's only with PPC or a general 10.5 warning. I don't have access to any systems with OS X 10.6 so haven't tested there. Under OS X 10.7 and 10.8 there are no warnings.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)