[lltx] luaotfload update

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Thu Oct 6 09:09:06 CEST 2011

Will Robertson wrote:
> On 06/10/2011, at 5:10 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
>> Hans keeps those two IIRC because em and en dashes are hard to
>> distinguish in monospaced fonts while editing, but even those are not
>> supported now in luaotfload as I stated earlier.
>
> Frankly, this is crazy. LuaLaTeX *cannot* drop support entirely for these features. There have been countless requests for how these should be activated in the XeTeX mailing list, even after that feature was implemented there. Can't we just keep the old code lying around?

I second this. A normal user starting TeX will not be able to input the
characters directly, and they would use - for –, or get a double hyphen
as output etc. The result will be horrible, and they will stick to
pdfTeX and we will not get any more users for LuaTeX but the very few
people with full unicode-keyboards or a lot of editor macros or shortcuts.

If this is dropped in luaotfload, maybe it could be implemented in fontspec?

cheers
Arno