[lltx] quietening lualatex console output

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon Feb 21 23:34:41 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:01:12PM +0100, Philipp Stephani wrote:
> Am 17.02.2011 um 13:05 schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry for replying so lately, I haven't been reading the list recently.
> >
> I'm CC'ing to the list, hope that's ok.

> > Future versions of luatexbase may be packed in only one sty file and one lua
> > file, which would reduce output.
> That would be nice, but only as a temporary solution. (Imagine a
> recommendation for C++ programmers to put their complete code in one
> file—such a suggestion would be immediately dismissed as absurd.)
> LuaTeX should really print file names only if the user requests it,
> and even then in a readable format without parentheses etc.

I don't usually compile C/C++ files invoking gcc/ld directly, I use make
which is very chatty by default, even the new silent mode prints the
name of every compiled or linked object.

> > For lualibs, I don't know. Printing lua file
> > names was considered a feature, for consistency with TeX and ease of debugging.
> If there is any possibility, this should be turned off. The Rule of
> Silence says: When a program has nothing surprising to say, it should
> say nothing. So, ideally, running lualatex on a file that produces no
> errors or warnings should not output any single character.

*TeX can be quite slow; I've a ~100 pages Arabic book that takes about a
minute, if ConTeXt did not print anything at all it would have been felt
much slower (BTW, ConTeXt terminal output is much more useful and human
readable than LaTeX's).

 Khaled Hosny