[lltx] endless loop

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Feb 17 12:53:36 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:43:39PM +0100, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Le 16/02/2011 16:26, Khaled Hosny a écrit :
> > Fixed on git few days ago, I think it deserves a release.
>
> I'm glad you fixed it and are about to release the fixed version.
>
> May I suggest that you add to the code a global counter of how many times
> database (re-)generation was attempted and stop trying if it reaches, say 3.
> This way, future similar bugs would not trigger an endless loop. (Interestingly
> enough, on my Linux machine, I rapidly got a stack overflow, while on the
> windows (virtual) box, I had to kill the process after a few minutes.)

The loop itself was the bug, it shouldn't be looping at all (I was
simply calling a function1 that calls function2 but function2 were in
turn calling function1 again :) The new version already uploaded to
CTAN.

> > I wounder why
> > everyone is encountering it just now (this is like the fifth report)
> > though the bug have been there for ages.
> >
> The bug happens only when there is no name database at all, so it doesn't happen
> if you used a previous version of luaotfload. It happens only on new
> installations and when you remove all cache files.

I know, it is just interesting how many people run into this just now
though it have been laying there for months.

> Maybe a lot of people are either trying it for the first time or using a new
> installation?

May be.

 Egyptian