[lltx] [luatex] fontspec prevents hyphenation

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Nov 28 12:05:01 CET 2010

On 11/22/2010 01:22 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> Would you be so kind to fix this?
> The problematic case seems to be: a combination of a non-letter in one
> font, followed by a letter in another font. LuaTeX does not consider
> that a valid word start. I will add an item to the tracker database.

That was a bad analysis. The bug is not in luatex at all, it is a bug
in fontspec.  Some input like

in fontspec produces the following low-level node list

   ( \/ h y p h e n a t i o n \/ )

and the "\/ h" combination is not a valid word start (the second italic
correction is fine, the first one is the problem).

In this, luatex is compatible with TeX itself, you can try

in plain TeX to see the thing happening (same lack of hyphenation).

Closing the luatex tracker item,