[lltx] Can luatex auto-run mkluatexfontdb ?

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sun May 16 11:47:13 CEST 2010

Le 16/05/2010 11:20, Will Robertson a écrit :
> I'm thinking about the workflow that users will need to follow when
> installing new system fonts for LuaLaTeX. In XeTeX, if a font is not found
> then the font cache is refreshed to see if there have been new fonts
> installed.

Interesting. As a XeTeX user, I wasn't even aware of that :-) So, you never need
to run fc-cache manually?

> This is far friendly than having to run mkluatexfontdb, even if it
> has a button in tlmgr. But am I right in thinking that this won't be possible
> for security reasons? (A la shell escape.)

Basically, yes. But, as you may know, we're finally releasing the "restricted
shell-escape" feature in TL10. AFAIK, the list of authorised programs is not
fixed yet, but if it can include fc-list, then mkluatexfontsdb could be invoked
directly from LuaTeX (not using os.system(), but using it directly since it is
lua code).

Somehow unrelated: I just realised mkluatexfontsdb uses io.popen(). Last time I
checked, this function was not working on windows. Did anyone test luaotfload on
windows?

Manuel.