[lltx] new tlmgr action

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon May 10 06:14:07 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:16:34AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Dear all,
> > - have the scripts mkluatexfontdb and mkluatexfontdb-sys in the binaries
> > of TeXLive? (the program automatically switches to TEXMFSYSVAR if called
> > with a filename containing "-sys")
>
> That is easy, too, we just have to link them there, or so.
>
> One question: At which point in time these mkluatexfontdb-sys should be
> called during normal operation? Say we install a set of new fonts (.pfb
> format)? WOuld it make sense to call the script?

We only index OpenType fonts (.otf and .ttf), type1 fonts still used the
tex way (tfm etc.) and there is no much sense to do otherwise.

I'd say the script would run as part of installation process and
whenever opentype fonts are installed. But since we also index system
fonts, this will not be enough so the scripts should be there for the
user to run them manually. Later, we may provide a way to monitor font
directories and whenever the user asks for non-existent font we check if
the font database is not up to date and update it, but this should not
concern texlive.

BTW Elie, I think the -sys mode is conceptually broken as it might index
fonts only available to the current user.