[lltx] Re: luamicrotype?

Robert w.m.l at gmx.net
Wed Mar 3 02:06:34 CET 2010

On 26.02.10 09:31, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> Well, I confess, I've an ulterior motive; I want to get ride of as
> legacy TeX macro code as possible, and to me microtype is nothing but a
> pile of code written in a weired macro language that I'll never be able
> to comprehend.

Fair enough.

> So why tie ourselves with legacies, where all what we
> need, to get microtype support in fontspec, is few tens of lines written
> in an elegant, easy to understand programming language? (most of the
> needed work is already done in luaotfload).

I must admit that I'm a little bit puzzled as to what you're actually
proposing. You cannot be seriously suggesting that 4000 lines of code
("legacy" or not) and another 3000 lines of configuration can be
replaced with "a few tens of lines"? With that you may be able to
provide rudimentary support along the lines of good-old protcode.tex.
The bulk of microtype, however, deals with the user interface, intended
to be automatic, systematic, straight-forward and flexible. It's all
there and time-tested, and I don't see why it should rewritten/replaced.
Users won't be amused, I guess.

  Robert

PS.
On 24.02.10 08:14, Élie Roux wrote:
> I sent you an invitation, I hope it will work...

Yes, thanks.