[lltx] adapting unicode-letters to luatex

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sun Jun 13 00:20:11 CEST 2010

Le 12/06/2010 23:59, Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :
> On 12 June 2010 Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
>  > Since it is a generated file, I see no benefit in sharing it,
>  > adapting the perl script for luatex makes less conflict.
>
> I think that this is exactly what Manuel suggested.

Actually, I suggested too ways. But this one had indeed my preference.

>  Sure, it doesn't
> make sense to change the generated file.  But the question is whether
> it's easy enough to add support for LuaTeX.  Since Jonathan wrote the
> script with XeTeX in mind, I don't know whether it's easy to provide
> another back-end.

Actually, apart from the mathcode thing (I still need to check the difference
between \XeTeXmathcode and LuaTeX's \mathcode), the initial Luatex version will
essentially be a subset of the Xetex version: removing the part about
interchar(class|toks) and obviously replacing the test about Xetex version by
something more suited to Luatex.

> If someone is going to re-write the script, it
> makes sense to have a generic internal representation (a hash in Perl
> or a table in Lua from which one can create different output formats.

I didn't look at the script yet, so I have no idea right now.

>  > A loosely related issue that I was considering, is to have a
>  > Unicode database in luatex-base, some thing like char-def.lua in
>  > ConTeXt, but auto-generated for maintainability (Unicode is ever
>  > growing). It would be very useful for people writing code that
>  > deals with character proprieties (my lua bidi for example). If we
>  > ever had such database, we can generate the required TeX file from
>  > it easily, I can also imagine an option for doing it on the fly if
>  > one really wants.
>
> I agree with you that it makes sense to use the Unicode databases.
> But I'm not convinced that it should be done on-the-fly.

Or the same script that parses the original Unicode database file can generate
both Lua and TeX output (I don't know it's that what you were suggesting, Reinhard).

Manuel.