[lltx] luatexbase

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Jan 22 07:41:30 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 09:53:59PM +0100, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Khaled Hosny a écrit :
> > Right, mostly because luaotfload isn't done enough yet. Once we manage
> > to properly implement a font names database, LuaTeX part of Fontspec 2.0
> > should be almost done, bugs aside, but then I doubt we will be able to
> > upload to CTAN since it is unlikely to work with LuaTeX in TeXlive.
> >
> Well, sorry for being the "pessimistic" guy again, but "bugs aside" can be quite
> a big restriction, and I'm afraid we can expect surpises when people start
> trying it on various systems with various fonts, doing various weird things :-)

True, that is another reason we should concentrate on getting things
done first, then worry about version compatibility later. It doesn't
make any sense to talk about backward incompatibility with half
working/half broken, feature incomplete packages.

> Concerning TL, I'll discuss with Karl if we can just blacklist lualatex stuff
> from our update detection script, so that we can update to CTAN: it would make
> things easier to test for more users, and I think we'll need testing.

Good idea.

> > Later on, once a certain level of functionality is reached, we can setup
> > our texlive repository, lualatex-dev or whatever, and ask interested
> > users to test it, later (my goal is TeXlive 2010) we can declare it
> > stable enough and advertise it to regular users.
> >
> FYI, plans are to release TL10 earlier than previous years.

Lets hope we'll get things done by time, my todo list is starting to
collapse, hopefully we wll have time to stabilize things and do more
testing.

> > May I
> > suggest "unicode-latex" as a meta package that would take car of loading
> > various XeTeX or LuaTeX packages for the user? (it should essentially be
> > xltxra with LuaTeX support for the time being).
> >
> I don't like "unicode-latex" so much, since I'm not sure it is clear that
> "unicode" means XeTeX or LuaLaTeX.

That was actually the point, it should load the relevant packages
according to the engine used, though I'm still not sure if it is a good
idea; we don't want to get limited by XeTeX (being the least common
denominator here, flexibility wise). I think François's modern-latex is
much better, if we decided to go one common package for different
engines route.