[lltx] Font names database

Manuel Pegourie-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Jan 14 14:04:51 CET 2010

Khaled Hosny a écrit :
> Do TeXlive (or other TeX distributions) ship fontconfig's command line
> tools?

On windows, yes. On Unices, no. (I don't know about MacTeX but according to
Will's answer, no.) But, on Unix (except OS X) the command-line utilities
ought to be present, at least fc-cache.

> I think they are only shipping the library and we can't use the
> library directly, unless someone writes luafontconfig binding and make
> it work with LuaTeX. So we can only expect fontconfig on modern
> GNU/Linux systems, not even sure about *BSD.

If you think we can achieve a reliable result without fontconfig and without
explosion of the size of the code, then it would probably be more portable
indeed.

Manuel.