[lltx] Re: microtypography

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 18:48:47 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 06:10:27PM +0100, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> I was precisely about to suggest that these features would be more naturally
> integrated in microtype than in fontspec. Concerning the implementation details
> (microtype-luatex vs direct integration in microtype), I have no opinion, but if
> would be great to preserve the same user interface whenever it makes sense.

AFAIK the current version of microtype already supports microtype?
Or is it only for non-OpenType fonts?

On 13/02/2010, at 4:07 AM, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> Expansion and protrusion, as currently implemented in luaotfload, are
> font features and thus need to be enabled at font definition time and
> thus naturally fall in fontspec area, doing it separately in any other
> package will just make things unnecessary complex (if possible at all)
> for no real gain. And there is OpenType "Opyical Bounds" feature
> ('opbd') which is used to set protrusion values which need to be
> supported by luaotfload/fontspec anyway.

If microtype is already working for LuaTeX I'd prefer to keep separate packages, but if it makes things convenient then provide an interface to microtype through fontspec itself.

But I agree eventually microtype and fontspec belong together.

-- Will