[lltx] bidi package extended for LuaLaTeX

Vafa Khalighi vafa at users.berlios.de
Fri Apr 2 14:12:45 CEST 2010

Just to let you know, I talked to taco about implementing unicode
bidirectional algorithm and taco said it is better that I wait untill luatex
0.70 is released.

"As I have written on the dev-luatex mailing list in the past, we are not
quite happy with our inherited direction code from Aleph (Omega). See
for example these tracker items :

 http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=306
 http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=301
 http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=232

The Aleph subsystem is more flexible than the \beginL/R from pdftex,
but nevertheless it has a number of oddities that are hard to work with.

You'll see that the trackers above are marked for version 0.70 (that
will be fall 2010) so the changes resulting from them will be too late
for this year's texlive. It appears unavoidable that direction support
luatex in 0.70 will be backward incompatible with 0.60.

Because of this, it may be counterproductive to spend much of your time
on implementing the unicode bidi algorithm in lua right now. My advice
would be to use active characters for text direction switches, and stick
to macro-based solutions for paragraph, math and page body setups. Just
so you won't have to redo lots of lua code next year."

--
Best wishes,
Vafa Khalighi