[lltx] bidi package extended for LuaLaTeX

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 11:47:35 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> wrote:

> Khaled Hosny a écrit :
>> Any one who wrote or maintained a reasonably complex tex macro code
>> knows it is pain to write, pain to understand and pain to maintain, the
>> main idea behind luatex is to give tex a sane programming language which
>> we all know tex mcros isn't.
>>

> By the way, concerning the advantages/disavantages of LuaTeX, it's worth noting
> that LuaTeX's overall complexity is bigger that other engines, since you need to
> understand /both/ TeX and Lua languages in order to be a good LuaTeX programmer.
> (Though maybe you don't need to be as good with TeX as previously, you just
> can't ignore TeX rules for lexical analysis (catcodes etc) and development.)

Typographical programming is an obscure subject,unlike other
traditionals programming areas.
LuaTex offers
1) a macro language for typesetting (TeX)
2) a procedural/object_oriented language for parsing, searching, extending (Lua)
3) a graphical language for draw (MetaPost)

1) & 2) can be used to write macro or typeset, but I prefear 1) for typesetting,
a 1) layer plus 2) layer for macros;
3)  is a sort of jolly.

It's not enough: the engine is pretty useless without a format, and there is not
a unique way to make a format
ConTeXt-mkiv is an example, luaLaTeX will be another example, metatex
another one --- they depends on what one needs to do .

--
luigi